BUSINESS OFFICE TECHNOLOGY - MEDICAL BILLING/CODING
BOT 70 Business English (3 units)
BOT 100, 101, or 102 Typing (3 units)
BOT 110 Business Calculators (1 unit)
BOT 120 Word Processing I on a Microcomputer (1.5 unit)
BOT 121 Word Processing II on a Microcomputer (1.5 units)
BOT 140 Office Procedures (3 units)
BOT 144 Records and Database Management (2 units)
BOT 170 Written Communication for Business (3 units)
BIO 202 Human Biology (3 units)
BOT 50 Medical Terminology (3 units)
BOT 53 Medical Coding, CPT-4 (2 units)
BOT 54 Medical Coding, ICD-9-CM (2 units)
BOT 56 Directed Practice, Medical Coding (2 units)
BOT 57 Medical Billing/Office Procedures (3 units)
BOT 58 Advanced Medical Coding (2 units)
Total units required for Certificate: 35
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete a Business Office Technology - General, Medical, Legal or Billing and Coding Certificate of Achievement will be able to:
- Demonstrate Critical Thinking Skills by:
- Troubleshooting exercises and situations that don't have clear directions or results.
- Reading instructions and determine the intent by using the information given.
- Consulting with other students to determine results.
- Demonstrate Reference skills by:
- Using reference manuals, dictionaries, online references, and Help options to find the answer to questions or exercises in each course.
- Demonstrate software skills by:
- Completing business-related documents using the various functions -- basic, intermediate and advanced -- of the software programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and/or InDesign.
- Demonstrate communications skills by:
- Demonstrating the ability to use successfully basic English language skills (grammar, punctuation, capitalization, etc.) in business documents.
- Demonstrating the ability to work as a team.
Gainful Employment Information
This information is provided to prospective students to help them make a better, more informed decision about a certificate program.
CIP Code: 51.0713
(Note: You may use the CIP code as a way to identify and compare similar programs at different colleges which may have different names.)
CIP Program Description: Medical Insurance Coding Specialist/Coder
Program Name: Business Office Technology - Medical Billing/Coding
Program Level: Certificate of Achievement
Program Length: 3 semesters
The following table lists the ONET Code and ONET Title (SOC) for occupations related to this program
|ONET Code||ONET Title (SOC)
||Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
Estimated Cost of Program: $1,610.00 
Estimated Cost for Textbooks and Supplies: $2,277.63 
Mendocino College does not offer on-campus housing.
Number of students who completed this program between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012: 2
Because of the low number of students completing this program, Mendocino College does not report:
- The percentage of completers with student debt;
- The median cumulative debt for completers in this program;
- The amount of Federal student loan debt;
- The amount of Private loan debt;
- The amount of Institutional financing plan debt;
- The number of students who completed the program within the normal program time;
This information is not reported in compliance with FERPA regulations.
Program length is expressed in semesters. There are two 17-week semesters each year, one in the Fall and one in the Spring. Length of time is calculated as the number of semesters it would take a student to complete the program unit requirements if they enrolled at the minimum full-time level of 12 units per semester. Students may be able to accelerate their progress by enrolling in more units per semester or enrolling in Summer session, if courses are available. Time to complete the program may be longer than the normal program length if a student requires remedial course work.
 Program cost is estimated based upon current unit cost (Fall 2012) of $46.00 per unit plus any additional Course Material Fees for required courses. Additional required fees are also included.
Textbook cost estimate is based upon retail cost of new textbooks purchased through the Mendocino College bookstore. A student's actual cost may vary based upon the availability of used textbooks, rental textbooks or electronic text books.
How to Apply
Financial Aid Information
Created: June 14, 2011 @ 08:08 AM
Last Modified: June 27, 2012 @ 11:22 AM