NETWORKING AND SECURITY
Networking professionals are a vital part of many businesses, and these skills are highly sought by such employers. The Networking and Security certificate helps prepare students for positions known variously as network/systems administrator, network/systems engineer, network/systems technician, and network/systems analyst.
CSC 70 Cisco Networking Academies I (3 units)
CSC 71 Cisco Networking Academies II (3 units)
CSC 72 Cisco Networking Academies III (3 units)
CSC 73 Cisco Networking Academies IV (3 units)
CSC 74 IT Essentials / A+ Certifiction I (4 units)
CSC 75 IT Essentials / A+ Certification Ii (3 units)
CSC 76 Home Computer Security (1.5 units)
CSC 105 Introduction to Unix I (1.5 units)
CSC 106 Introduction to Unix II (1.5 units)
CSC 220 Introduction to Computer Science (4 units)
Total units required for Certificate: 29
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete a Networking and Security Certificate of Achievement will be able to:
- Write, debug and run a simple program in a machine and/or assembly language.
- Write, debug and run a simple program in a high-level language.
- Configure a Unix-based operating system as a platform for web-based and other applications.
- Construct and utilize Unix commands to perform a wide variety of tasks.
- Demonstrate knowledge of cryptography sufficient to pursue the Security+ certification.
- Describe the function of each of the software components of a computer operating system.
- Design an Internet Protocol addressing scheme to meet local area network requirements.
- Configure a switch with virtual local area networks and interswitch communication.
- Describe the Open System Interface model and the process of encapsulation.
- Verify and troubleshoot network and Internet connectivity.
Gainful Employment Information
This information is provided to prospective students to help them make a better, more informed decision about a certificate program.
CIP Code: 11.0901
(Note: You may use the CIP code as a way to identify and compare similar programs at different colleges which may have different names.)
CIP Program Description: Computer Systems Networking and Telecommunications
Program Name: Networking and Security
Program Level: Certificate of Achievement
Program Length: 3 semesters
The following table lists the ONET Code and ONET Title (SOC) for occupations related to this program
|ONET Code||ONET Title (SOC)
||Computer Security Specialists
||Network Systems and Data Communication Analysts
Estimated Cost of Program: $1,265.00 
Estimated Cost for Textbooks and Supplies: $270.72 
Mendocino College does not offer on-campus housing.
Number of students who completed this program between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012: 0
Because of the low number of students completing this program, Mendocino College does not report:
- The percentage of completers with student debt;
- The median cumulative debt for completers in this program;
- The amount of Federal student loan debt;
- The amount of Private loan debt;
- The amount of Institutional financing plan debt;
- The number of students who completed the program within the normal program time;
This information is not reported in compliance with FERPA regulations.
Program length is expressed in semesters. There are two 17-week semesters each year, one in the Fall and one in the Spring. Length of time is calculated as the number of semesters it would take a student to complete the program unit requirements if they enrolled at the minimum full-time level of 12 units per semester. Students may be able to accelerate their progress by enrolling in more units per semester or enrolling in Summer session, if courses are available. Time to complete the program may be longer than the normal program length if a student requires remedial course work.
 Program cost is estimated based upon current unit cost (Fall 2012) of $46.00 per unit plus any additional Course Material Fees for required courses. Additional required fees are also included.
Textbook cost estimate is based upon retail cost of new textbooks purchased through the Mendocino College Bookstore. A student's actual cost may vary based upon the availability of used textbooks, rental textbooks or electronic text books.
How to Apply
Financial Aid Information
Created: June 14, 2011 @ 07:06 AM
Last Modified: June 27, 2012 @ 11:39 AM